How would you like to take a fun or educational class online for free? We now offer hundreds of FREE online classes on a myriad of great topics. There is something for everyone on Universal Class. Check it out and see what you think.
Here are some of the Frequently asked questions about the classes:
Frequently Asked Questions
- How many classes can a patron enroll in simultaneously? Patrons may enroll in up to five classes at a time.
- How long does a patron have to finish a class? Patrons have six months to finish a class.
- Can a patron take more than six months to finish a class? Yes, they can re-enroll and pick up where they left off.
- If a patron completes a class prior to the six months, can they enroll in another class? Yes – but the total can only be five classes at one time.
- Will these courses transfer as ‘college credit’? No. Sorry, courses on UniversalClass™ will not transfer as college credit. You’ll need to enroll into an accredited college or university and pay normal tuition in order to have college transfer credit, and even so, it is ultimately up to the receiving institution’s college admissions and/or advisor on whether or not any course anywhere will transfer as college credit. Many colleges and universities around the world do accept our courses as transfer credit or as fulfilling prerequisite program requirements. However, we do not keep track of what courses are accepted where and under what conditions. If you are looking to fulfill your program requirements at another institution, please make sure your advisor and/or school have approved the UniversalClass™ course before enrolling.
- Will these courses give me a certification or a license? No. Sorry, our courses are for your educational enrichment and professional development. They will not give you a certification or a license.
- Is this course recognized by my state or country?
Sorry, we do not keep track of what courses are approved where, as our courses serve a world-wide population. If you need to fulfill specific requirements from an institution or governing body, please contact them directly about whether or not a UniversalClass™ course will fulfill any part of your coursework requirements.
- Will I get a certificate at course completion?
Yes, if you successfully completed a course you will be issued a Certificate of Course Completion documenting your progress and final grade. You’ll have access to an online version of the certificate, as well as an option to have a hard copy shipped (additional shipping/handling charges apply).
- What are CEUs?
CEU stands for Continuing Education Unit. A CEU is not the same as ‘college credit’. CEUs are the industry measurement of non-credit education. One (1) CEU equals 10 contact hours.
- Why are these classes free for me to take?
UniversalClass™ is committed to providing the highest quality education experience available. Our non-credit courses are ideal for enhancing your personal understanding on any subject. Your library believes education should be affordable and accessible by all so they have generously sponsored our service in your community.
- Is there an instructor available to answer questions?
Yes. Our courses are both self-paced and instructor-led. An instructor is available to answer questions as well as monitor and assess your performance in the course.
- How many hours will it take to complete a course?
All courses vary in scope, length, and work required. Most courses can be completed in 10 to 20 hours, and with a little diligence, most can be completed within 30 days. These courses are usually documented with 1.0 CEU (10 contact hours) upon successful completion. More advanced courses that will require more time will offer more CEUs, and the difficulty level is so noted on the course enrollment screen. However, everyone is different. Some people just take longer than others to master concepts covered. That’s why we give you 6 months to complete any course on our service.
- How long do I have to complete a course? You have 6 months to complete any course on our service. After 6 months, you may easily renew you’re your course online (at the cost of the basic course fee) for continued and interrupted access to your course.
- What happens if I need more time to complete a course?
If you need more than the 6 months you’ve been granted to complete a course, you may renew your subscription for another 6 months and continue the course from where you left off.
- Do I need to buy any textbooks? Most courses on UniversalClass™ are thoroughly written enough so you will not need to buy any required textbooks–although we will recommend additional reading materials to purchase–these materials are optional and you are not required to buy them to complete the course. However, some courses do require textbooks (for example, many of the Algebra and Geometry courses require textbooks)–refer to the class syllabus for any ‘required textbooks’ or use the ‘Request More Information’ form to determine whether or not there are any required materials that need to be purchased before enrolling.
- Do you have a Demo Class I can try?
Of course. Please visit our UniversalClass™ Demonstration Course for a tutorial on how our online courses are setup.
- What are the technical requirements? Universal Class works with most recent versions of major web browsers, including: Internet Explorer, FireFox, Safari, and Chrome. For a full list of technical requirements to use Universal Class, click here.
- What does it mean by “instructor-led”?
The phrase “instructor-led” means that a real, living person (and not a computer), is putting up all classroom content. It also implies that while instructor content is not computer generated, you don’t necessarily need to meet real-time with the instructor. UniversalClass™ online courses are uniquely set up so that all types of communication and information exchanges can take place at your convenience.
- When does a class start and end?
You can enroll anytime–day or night. Courses are self-paced and everyone works according to his/her own timetable. The online classroom will be open and accessible, once you’re enrolled, 24 hours a day–every day of the week for up to six months. The class ends when you complete all the coursework and the instructor graduates you from the course, or when your subscription expires (after 6 months).
- I just enrolled in a class, now what do I do? You can access all the courses you are taking at UniversalClass™ under “My Classes”. Click on the My Classes tab located at the top-right navigational bar anywhere on our service, and simply login with your Member ID and Password. Once you are in the “My Classes” area, you can enter the virtual classroom by clicking on the course title which will bring you to the Class Start Page. From here, a Student Course Wizard™ will guide you on what lessons you need to review, assignments to submit, and exams to take, in order to successfully complete the course. We recommend that you enroll in our free demonstration course for students: How to Take an Online Class at UniversalClass™.
- Can I email the instructor my questions?
Yes, you can contact the course instructor at anytime by logging into the Virtual Classroom and using “Class Email” (under the “Communications” tab).
- How do I submit assignments?
The assignments forms provided in the classroom will provide three different ways to submit an assignment: 1.) Type in provided text box. 2.) Copy/paste 3.) Upload your assignment file. For further details enroll in the free demo course for students at: How to Take an Online Class at UniversalClass
- Do I get a ‘grade’ for the course?
Yes. All coursework, exams, assignments, attendance, and class participation is recorded and assessed by your instructor. Based on the grading guidelines your instructor uses, all of your coursework grades and final assessment are displayed in the “Report Card” area.
- When do test score data become available?
The instructor of the course you’re taking will determine when test score data is made available. Essay questions are the exception, as these questions cannot be automatically graded, instructors must grade these individually. This will take more time, and a student cannot receive a grade for these automatically.
- Can I earn certificates?
Yes. UniversalClass offers many different certificates documenting your academic efforts that your class instructor can issue (i.e. Certificate of Academic Excellence, Certificate of Attendance, Certificate of Merit). The certificates that you have been awarded will be listed when My Awards is clicked.
- I Was Awarded a Certificate. How Much Does It Cost to Get a Hard Copy of It?
If you earn a certificate on our service, you have the option to purchase the certificate (it is not required). Certificates are $35.00 per award plus shipping and handling.
- Why Go With UniversalClass at my public library?
The advantages of taking a self-paced online class at UniversalClass include: 1. Easy to Use 2. It’s FREE 3. Real Instructors 4. Reviewed Instruction 5. Personalized Assessment 6. Complete Documentation and Tracking of All Your Work and 7. Online and Hard Copy Certificates (documentation of your work is ideal for resumes and professional portfolios). Instructor-led courses hosted on UniversalClass deliver fast, secure and quality online instruction. Students can learn at anytime, anywhere, any place and at their own convenience.
- How do I stop receiving the emails when I leave a class?
To discontinue receiving classroom information, highlight “no” to disable email notification listed in Email Alerts!on your classroom navigational bar.
- When will my course completion certificate be available?
Your online certificate which documents the course you have taken is available immediately at course completion. You can download, view, print, and share your online certificate once purchased. Your certificate and course completion information will be saved for up to 5 years from the date of course completion.
- How long are student records maintained? Your course completions are available under the ‘my transcripts’ area as well as available under the ‘my awards’ area. We maintain student training records for up to 5 years from the date of completion. These records are readily available to review, print, or share with others at course conclusion.
- What does ‘self-paced’ mean?
‘Self-paced‘ means you go at your own pace. When you take a self-paced, online course then you complete the lessons, assignments, exams, and other class activities when you have time and on your own time. You still need to complete the course within 6 months, however, when you decide to complete the course objectives within those six months is entirely up to you.
- What does ‘instructor-led’ mean?
‘Instructor-led‘ means that there is an instructor in the course that will monitor your work, review and assess your submissions, and be available to answer any questions or concerns throughout the course.
- How can patrons contact UC if they have questions?
All Customer Support (non-sales):
For faster service, please make sure you have logged your
problem in our online helpdesk system: http://www.universalclass.com/helpdesk
Excluding weekends and holidays, we usually address most issues within 24 hours.
Sandra Dillinger, Instructional Technology Support
Candace Mason, Course Review Specialist
Office Hours: 10:00 AM – 4:30 PM EST, Monday – Friday